If there are some that don't already know, the OKC Memorial Marathon is less than a week away. What usually ensues about this time is taper madness. It truly is a symptom of tapering or reducing your mileage before a big race. Runners are used to running 20+ miles a week or much more depending on the length of race you are training for, but that number is cut considerably during the last couple of weeks in order to let their legs rest. While the legs are resting, the mind is going crazy...literally.
Joe has been checking the weather 10 times a day. He is checking quite a few sites including some local OKC news weather stations. I won't go into detail about the extent that he is obsessing, but it's boderline OCD.
I, on the other hand, came up with an injury just before taper time. Posterior tibial tendonitis. It really was hurting and messing with my walking gait. I was limping around everywhere a week ago. I started some anti-inflammatories, ice, rest, K-tape, and arch supports. It's getting better. But, I still limp around sometimes, which is how I know I'm going mad. It's not hurt anymore, so why am I limping around? I just can't help it. Subconciously I'm trying to protect that foot. Now, that I realize how mad I am, I'm starting to wonder if it ever was a real injury.
Here is a funny article that a friend sent me about Taper Madness. It's old, but definitely hilarious. And, I apologize to all of my friends, who are so tired of me talking about this race. It will stop at some point. I have great friends because none of you have complained yet.
http://blog.runnerslounge.com/2008/09/symptoms-and-tr.html
Letter to Max at 7 Years
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment